We all know we’re better when our dog is around but now we have the research to back it up.
Recent research conducted by Purina found that when pets are at work, 52 per cent of employees say they smile more, 48 per cent find work friendlier and almost a third believe they are more productive throughout the day.
Purina General Manager, Nicole Battistessa, said having pets at work has a lot of benefits. “Pets reduce stress, bring people together, boost employee engagement and even encourage regular breaks and exercise”.
On 4 August, Australian workplaces and businesses are encouraged to celebrate the terrific contribution our furry workmates make by allowing workers to bring their pets, or take the first step to investigate how their workplace can introduce a pet-friendly policy for ‘Pets At Work Day’.
Purina’s research showed:
- Almost 30 per cent of Australian workers report that their workplace is already pet-friendly, with a quarter of office workers reporting that they have the option to bring their pet to work with them.
- Workers reported pet-friendly workplaces were in sectors as diverse as hospitality, retail, factories and warehouses – while those who work from home unsurprisingly lead on pet-friendly workplaces!
- In offices where pets are allowed, almost nine out of ten (88 per cent) employees agree they have a moderate to very positive impact on their work environment.
- Almost all (88 per cent) of those who’ve worked in a pet-friendly workplace say they would view a pet-friendly policy as a perk offered by any future employer.
- Having to leave a pet at home is stopping many Australians from becoming pet owners. Almost a quarter of non-dog owners (23 per cent) said they would be more likely to consider getting a dog, and 13 per cent of non-cat owners would be more likely to consider a cat if their office was pet-friendly.
Remember to check with your employers and colleagues before bringing your dog into work.
For more information on Pets At Work Day, visit purina.com.au/dogs/care/pets-at-work.Make sure your furry friend is always looked after at our DOGSLife Directory