Beware of toxic festive food

December 9th, 2013
dog eating

The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) is advising pet owners to be careful about the kind of leftovers they feed their animals during the Christmas period.

“Vets treat many pets with digestive problems during the Christmas period,” says Dr David Neck from the AVA.

“There are some foods that we indulge in over the Christmas period that are just not good for our cats and dogs,” he said.

The AVA has a list of common foods that can cause potentially fatal health complications for your pet:

  • Chocolate – toxic to dogs and cats, even in small quantities
  • Nutmeg – dogs that have ingested nutmeg can suffer from tremors, seizures, issues with the nervous system and even death
  • Avocados – contains a dangerous toxin which can damage the heart, lungs and tissue of many different animals
  • Turkey skin, pork crackling, sausages and fatty meats – can lead to inflammation of the pancreas due to high fat content
  • Onions and garlic – can cause gastric irritation and anaemia if they are consumed in large quantities
  • Grapes and raisins – can cause acute kidney failure
  • Macadamia nuts – can be toxic to dogs. Symptoms will likely occur within 12 hours and can include vomiting, hyperthermia and elevated heart rate
  • Others – include dairy products, raw eggs, mushrooms, raw fish, citrus fruit, green potatoes and large quantities of tomatoes or salt.

“The best treat you can give your pet over Christmas is quality pet treats from your vet clinic, pet store or supermarket that contain the right nutrients to keep them healthy,” he said.

**If you suspect your pet has eaten something toxic you should contact your veterinarian immediately.**

Make sure your furry friend is always looked after at our DOGSLife Directory

Got Something To Say: