Easter bunny no friend to dogs

April 2nd, 2015
Cute old dog falling asleep tired after breaking a toy

As Easter is just around the corner, Lort Smith Animal Hospital is reminding owners not to feed their dogs Easter treats such as chocolate, hot cross buns or any other sweet foods.

Dr Russell Harrison, General Manager, Veterinary Services, at Lort Smith says chocolate contains an alkaloid called theobromine which can kill dogs.

“Domestic animals metabolise theobromine much more slowly than humans,” he says.

He also says different types of chocolate has different toxicity levels. For example, a 10 kg animal would need treatment if it ate 55g milk chocolate; 35g dark chocolate; or 15g cooking chocolate.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning may include:

  • restlessness
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • increased heart rate
  • muscle tremors
  • seizures.

“If you notice these symptoms, take your dog to the vet as soon as possible,” says Dr Harrison. “So this Easter, take them for a walk or give them extra cuddles. Nothing makes your faithful companion happier than simply spending time together.”

Lort Smith Animal Hospital will be open throughout the Easter period.

Check out the latest animal attractions and events at our all-new DOGSLife Directory

Got Something To Say: