It’s one of the most useful commands to teach your dog but it can be difficult to teach.
Once your dog has a grip on the sit and down commands, it’s time to move on to stay. Follow these easy steps to teach your dog:
- Start in the down position. It’s easier to get your dog to lay or sit before you command them to stay.
- Put your palm out towards the dog as though you’re stopping traffic and repeat the word “stay” in a steady tone.
- Reward your dog for listening
- Repeat the process but this time, take a single step back. Be patient and continue repeating until your dog gets the hang of it. Don’t forget to reward with a treat when they get it right.
- Continue repeating the process, taking a step back each time and calling your dog to you.
- Always reward your dog when he gets it right.
- Never shout at your dog for failing to follow the command. Simply refuse to reward him and repeat until he gets it right.
- Remember, practice makes perfect.
Has your dog mastered “stay”?